Established September 19, 2017, the New Smyrna Beach Housing Development Corporation (NSBHDC) is a Florida not for profit corporation managed by a five-member Board of Directors (BOD).
Founding Directors of the NSBHDC Board include:
- Rosemary Walker, President
- Regis Anne Sloan, Vice-President
- William Maul, Director
- Charles P. Licata, Director
- Grover Miller, Jr. Director
Current BOD members are listed here.
The New Smyrna Beach Housing Development Corporation was established:
- to provide, develop, rehab, construct and/or acquire affordable housing opportunities for low and moderate income persons and/or families, including but not limited to mixed income and mixed use properties primarily located in, but not limited to, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, and the surrounding areas;
- to manage properties primarily located in, but not limited to, New Smyrna Beach, Florida, Volusia County, and the surrounding areas, including properties owned and/or operated by the Housing Authority of the City of New Smyrna Beach;
- to act as an instrumentality of the Housing Authority of the City of New Smyrna Beach and solicit funds and/or donations on its behalf to benefit and support the programs and goals of the Authority;
- to operate in any manner for such nonprofit, charitable and/or educational purposes as will qualify the Corporation as a charitable organization exempt from federal income tax under Internal Revenue Code Section 50l(c)(3);
- to accept a substantial part of its support from a governmental unit or from direct or indirect contributions from the general public, the Corporation's organizers, corporations, foundations, and any other public or private sources.
The NSBHDC takes donations and works together with public and private entities to encourage and facilitate the provision of affordable housing opportunities to persons and families of low and moderate income throughout New Smyrna Beach and the surrounding area.
Funding opportunities provided by NSBHDC allow the New Smyrna Beach Housing Authority to develop and operate housing for area residents, as well as provide support for the educational and charitable programs offered by the agency.
The first affordable rental properties purchased by the NSBHDC are located in the Historic Westside community of New Smyrna Beach and are subsidized by Housing Choice Voucher holders (formerly Section 8).
Additional affordable rental properties were developed, purchased, and rehabbed.
NSBHDC continually invests in affordable housing opportunities and supports the ongoing programs of the New Smyrna Beach Housing Authority for the betterment of Southeast Volusia County.