As of April 1, 2023, the New Smyrna Beach Housing Authority is a Moving to Work (MTW) agency.
The Moving to Work (MTW) Demonstration Program allows public housing authorities, with the approval of the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), the opportunity to design and test innovative, locally designed strategies that use Federal dollars more efficiently, help residents find employment and become self-sufficient, and increase housing choices for low-income families.
MTW gives housing authorities exemptions from many existing public housing and voucher rules while providing more flexibility with how Federal funds are used.
MTW agencies are expected to use the opportunities presented by MTW to inform HUD about ways to better address local community needs.
As an MTW agency, New Smyrna Beach Housing Authority is allowed to modify certain requirements to achieve the MTW objectives:
- Reduce cost and achieve greater cost-effectiveness in Federal expenditures;
- Give incentives to families with children where the head of household is working, is seeking work, or is preparing for work by participating in job training, educational programs, or programs that assist people to obtain employment and become economically self-sufficient; and
- Increase housing choices for low-income families.
Implementation of the MTW Demonstration Program requires changes which will affect both Public Housing residents and Housing Choice Voucher (HCV) participants.
Key MTW Program Changes:
- Minimum rent will increase from $50 to $130.
- Standard utility allowance will be used (based on program, number of bedrooms, and dwelling type).
- Dependent allowance, unreimbursed childcare costs, and disability deductions will be eliminated.
- Utility reimbursement payments will be eliminated.
- Earned Income Disregard will be eliminated.
- HCV Payment Standard will increase to 120% of the Fair Market Rents.
- Asset self-certification threshold will be increased from $5,000 to $50,000.
For more information on how conversion to the MTW Demonstration Program will affect your household, please contact our office to schedule an appointment: 386.428.8171